What is an uro-dynamic study?
It is a diagnostic study of the specialty of Urology that informs us through its results, how it works the lower urinary tract. This study was conducted in men and women. The main objective of this study is to analyze whether there is any functional disorder of the bladder.
The result of this study, urodynamic, allows you to demonstrate what kind of condition the patient is suffering, and with that information to make decisions related to the most adequate treatment.
Urodynamic study provides important information for diagnosis and treatment in case of urinary incontinence, difficulty voiding, pelvic pain and/or pelvic organ prolapse, among others.
What is the purpose of the study urodynamic?
Urodynamics is to make exact measurements to assess the function of the bladder.
It is a method to determine the impact of a disease on the urinary tract.
It is a study that evaluates the behavior of the bladder in the phase of filling and emptying.
During the study elicited the symptoms suffered by the patient: incontinence of urine, urgency to urinate or difficulty urinating. In this way, we find out what happens in the lower urinary tract when a patient presents with these symptoms.
Who should be an uro-dynamic study?
Is usually performed in patients with impaired voiding, in neurological diseases, trauma spinal cord, in patients with incontinence or urine retention and patients with difficulty voiding without apparent organic cause.
What is the study?
- Is performed on an outpatient basis and under local anesthesia to minimize discomfort.
- Does not need to be fasting.
- There is need for a urine culture to rule out urinary tract infections prior to the study.
- The patient should remove the underwear and put on a gown to make this study more comfortable.
- With the patient lying on a stretcher, put some probes are very thin in the bladder through the urethra and another in the rectum, which is connected to an external sensor to measure the pressure bladder.
- During the duration of the study (30-60min), the patients will be sitting in an arm chair and the computer will be experiencing the pressures bladder and their behavior, as well as if there are episodes of urination, pain or leakage of urine.
- Once adjusted to the systems of registry, it begins with the filling of the urinary bladder. The Urologist will tell you cough or force to the abdomen for various measurements.
- When the bladder is full, you will be asked to urinate. It is important not to interrupt this flow of urination.
- In CAU urodynamic study is performed by a medical specialist in Urology, who will deliver the report on the study at the time.
In what cases is indicated Urodynamic Study?
In those patients who have some type of incontinence (loss of urine) and in cases of prolapse of the pelvic organs.
What should I know to have an uro-dynamic study?
- It is a test that is performed on an outpatient basis and is not painful, in which you are going to probe to the patient: catheterization of the urinary bladder (through the urethra) and probing anal (through the anus).
- It is important to attend the test with the urge to urinate because there will be a flowmetry.
- During the study, you will have the urge to urinate and will not do so until a professional tells you to.
- It is not necessary that the patient is fasting.
- To avoid infection, it is possible to take antibiotics before and/or after the study.
- The result is immediate